Saturday 7 April 2012

FOLIE TO BUILDING- Exemplars

This entry is a week late and probably just as well. Last week I forged ahead with some drawings rather than posting exemplars. I have been looking at old school buildings around Brisbane for some inspiration; the HSW site is steeped in history and the context seems to ask for something that harks back as well as looks forward.

Therefore, most of my drawings so far have in the style of old school houses with the raised classrooms and various undercroft areas. These are useful as extra shade and would be a bonus on the HSW site for flood mitigation purposes. However, I was struggling to come up with something that wasn’t simply a replica or variation on the old colonial school house.

St Lawrences College (www.ozatwar.com/locations/stlaurences.htm)

Fortunately, some of the other students interpreted the brief correctly and seeing their exemplars was a bonus. I was particularly taken by the Vennesla Public Library, Norway. This building with it’s prefab ribbed construction gave me my inspiration for (ironically) creating the undercroft. I have since extended it to the upper level.

Vennesla Library, Norway (www.inhabitat.com/vennesla-librarys-ribbed-prefab-design-features-energy-efficient-strategies-in-norway/)

Another Australian library from the exemplars which interested me initially because of the materials used. However, the website for the project contained some diagramming which has provided me with some ideas for presenting in Week#9.

Surrey Hills Library, Elevations (www.lippmann.com.au/publicbuildings/surryhillslibrary/tabid/728/default.aspx)

Surrey Hills Library, Floor Plan (www.lippmann.com.au/publicbuildings/surryhillslibrary/tabid/728/default.aspx)



No comments:

Post a Comment